Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Swimming in the company of dolphins, eating apple pie, pushing some daisies around, and other American customs that really aren't, but should be.

A few dozen orange streetlights whisk past my vision. It was right about then that philosophical thoughts stirred into my brain.

Speed limits aren't there to hold us back, but to keep us from our past.

That's what I thought. Now, let me explain. Don't worry. I will get back to the promised subjects of dolphins, pie, daisies, and America. Let me get metaphorical first.

My life has been a roller coaster of sorts. Specifically, the last few years. There's a lot of bad stuff back there. I'd rather not think about it. But its still all there. Haunting me. The last thing I want is to relive it. Ironically its exactly that wish that puts me at risk for reliving it.

After all the friends I've lost for various reasons, the arguments I've had, and the grudges I've held; I have learned a lot. Not nearly as much as other people, to be sure. But that hardly makes the things I have learned unimportant.

And as painful as it is to study my past mistakes, I need to. And I need to act differently in the future as a result. I need to set up rules to avoid hurting myself and others in the same way. What I need is a speed limit or two.

What, you ask, do dolphins, pie, daisies, and America have to do with those thoughts? Very much. To me, that is. You see, today was a great day. It started with the purchase of a long-awaited CD. (Swimming With Dolphins is amazing!!!) ((See? That's the dolphins part.)) Then I ate some scrumptious (Yes, Meg. I had to. :P You're rolling your eyes, aren't you? Either that or picturing that poor dude.) apple pie made by an amazing girlfriend of mine. She's incredible. And I'm not merely discussing her baking abilities. Everything about her is beyond description. I mean, she loves me! That should be explanation enough. Then I watched one of my favoritest shows with most of my favoritest people. (That's the Daisies part.) (((I sincerely believe all Americans, and even humans in general should practice these activities every day.)))

It was somewhere on the ride home while I pondered my day, that I decided something. I love my life. I love the people in it. I love the places God is leading me. I love falling deeper in love with Him everyday. Also, with Meg. I fall in love with her too. Every single day.

Its just pretty great. Not without its challenges, certainly. But it is more than I dreamed it would be. And here I am. Nothing's perfect, but everything is amazing. Everything's a miracle (DOLPHINS!) And none of it would have happened had I not done what I did in my past. I had to go through that to learn what I did. So I could be here. While I may not enjoy thoughts of what happened, I'm glad it did.

I wouldn't trade my life for anything at all. I'm growing closer to God everyday. I have girl who loves me and always will. I have a family to enjoy it all with. I have future before me made possible by the painful past behind me. And I'm doing what I love by writing on this very blog. And whats more, other people are enjoying it. I couldn't ask for more. God in His wisdom has given me it all. As He always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment