Friday, May 13, 2011

From Posessive Demons To A Super-Powered Alien To Whom I Am Compared

It was on a Thursday night roughly 5 years ago that I was bored. In my crushing boredom, I turned on the TV. I flipped through channel after channel with an apathy only seen during your average calculus class. Suddenly my thumb stopped the consistent pressing motion. It stopped on a show. Because that show had caught my attention. That show was Smallville. And contrary to what you may have assumed, it was our second meeting.

At an earlier time, I had witnessed commercials and previews for Smallville. And, honestly, it freaked me out. I thought it was scary and I wondered why anyone would watch a show like that.

Then my boredom and the Season 5 finale happened. Maybe it was the small child possessed by an evil alien spirit quite literally tearing guards to shreds, or maybe it was the idea of a show about Superman before he was Superman. Either way, one 12 year old boy was hooked. I devoted years of my life to both catching up on the previous five seasons and religiously following the rest of the series as it progressed.

To all who have watched any episode of this show, it has its problems. At times, its cheesy and lame. At other times, its plot is all over the place and seems to be allergic to logic. Its blunt. It appears to have skipped school the day they studied "subtlety." Also, it is always frustrating.

But its also good. And true. And if I'm being honest, its inspired me to run around pretending to destroy stuff, and run super fast and fly around the world on more than one occasion.

I've spent an exorbitant amount of time wondering why I love this show so much. Or even why its my favorite show. And I think I finally have the answer.

I want to be Clark Kent. I don't mean in the aesthetic areas. Well, we may have similarities. Its not what keeps me watching. You see, in a weird sort of way Smallville has mirrored my life. I'd be embarrassed if I admitted the ways in which it did. Some are obvious, some not so much. If I told you, you'd look at my cheesiness with such disdain that my very insides would whittle themselves into nothingness. And none of us want that.

Even as I watch this last episode, its mirroring my life. And I'm getting chills because of it. Only Smallville would have Clark learning to say goodbye to his past even as I'm trying to say goodbye to it. I just love it. *Grins*

Im going to miss this show after its gone. While other shows that I love have ended (In some cases before I started watching it), none have ever been such a huge part of my life for such a long time. And now its almost over.

(GAH! He flew!)

Its a little weird watching the last few minutes of Smallville tick away. Come September, I'll probably be waiting for yet another season to start up, but it won't. Its nearly done. I can't help but have hundreds of episodes worth of memories flood back to me. Terror during the Dark Thursday episodes, joy during Season 1, pure frustration when they brought Lana back for the (What a horrible way to work Lex back in! Sorry, this is what I mean. *shrugs* I guess it works. For once it all fits. Thats good enough for me.) 40 billionth time.

(Holy Kryptonian Fashions! He's gonna wear the suit!)

And...thats it...its over. Smallville has ended. It ended well, not how I would have ended it. I don't think you can have a show for 10 years and then end it without any let downs. It sort of HAD to be an anti-climax. But it was good. I still have a huge grin on my face and a strange urge to watch Superman 1 and 2 tonight.

Dressed as Clark Kent, of course. I always will be.

-Hi_am The Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment