Saturday, May 7, 2011

Maternally Pensive

Look, Mom! A blog post! All for you. Its your lucky day. Your fantabulous son has devoted his internetted soap box to you today. For it is the Day of The Mothers. It is a day for you.

I love you so very much Mom. Really, its probably all the sandwiches that did it. Oh and the Mac and Cheese. You make the World's Best Mac and Cheese. Its really not a contest. Seriously. I love food. But you knew that already. You've been feeding me for pretty much ever.

You are the bestest Mom in the world. Why, you ask? Well, if you hadn't joined the leagues of "mothers" I wouldn't exist. And, honestly, can you even imagine a world without me, without melting into a sobbing puddle of depressed mush? I can't either.

Or maybe its the fact that you manage to love a son like me, that makes you the bestest mother in the world. Either way, you are.

As much as I get on your nerves with my persistent "grumpies" as you so eloquently put it, you haven't yet murdered me. I proclaim that as a victory for you. In fact, you have the world record. You've refrained from killing me for 17 years so far. I'd appreciate it if that lasted a little bit longer.

You never stop doing things for me. Whether I ask or not. I may not always tell you (for which I am sorry) that I am thankful. But I am.

Its been a crazy year. I (appear to) have grown up a lot. Things are changing faster than I can take note. For the first time ever, autumn doesn't hold yet another school year for us to dive into. In a mere 7ish months, I'll be an adult. Scary, huh?

For as long as I can remember, you've understood me the most. I can only hope to be as great a parent as you are. Not that you're perfect. Far from it, actually. But neither am I. And yet, somehow we manage to love each other.

Its been a long time since my days as a Cubbie. Do you remember? The days when I would weep at the thought of being left somewhere without my Mommy? Or a few years later, when I'd do pretty much the same thing when sleeping over a friend's house. I seem to remember you being frustrated with me a lot growing up. For good reason, too. I was far from an angelic child. But I still wish I could go back to then. I think I'd appreciate it more.

So lets enjoy these last few years I have to be a pesky teenager living under your roof. Before we know it, this will all be over. You'll have been too good of a parent for your own good. I guess that's how its supposed to be. Its OK, though. You'll always have Kay and Kalli to pester. They're stuck with "Gamma"bothering them for many years to come. I hope I will be too.

I love you, Mom. Happy Day of The Mothers.

-Your Bothersome Son

P.S. This doesn't actually take the place of the card. And the card won't take the place of a gift. I actually just thought of one. I think you'll like it. And if you don't...well, then we have bigger problems to work out.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, my dear sweet son. You made my day : ) BTW, you are not bothersome but you are sometimes 'grumpy' :oP

    Lots of love and a big squeezy hug,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete