Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Good Enough Me

A Good Enough Me

Leave me defeated by
The knowledge that my only victories
And pride
Were based on a bold-faced lie
On technicalities

A breath taken
From finally knowing
I can only guess
How much less
And how much more mistaken

To understand
Loses its charm
When it causes eternal harm
To the man I could have sworn
I was before the doubt was born

Where were you
When you fell with me?
I didn't see you
Where you said
You would be
Were you hiding behind
Necessity?

Is that what this is?
A chance to grab
What was only ever his?
You have it now
But maybe what you found
Isn't quite good enough
Not that I ever was

I'm oh so sorry for your loss
You're lost in time
Time you can't take back
Time with pity that lacks
Build yourself a time machine
And visit all you meant this to be
With those you wish you could see
In the reflection of your eyes
Your ever-fading eyes
Were a pleasant surprise

Maybe I'm not the best
Maybe the years forgot their place
Maybe I'm more or less
Deserving of your trust
Or I was until I crossed
The forsaken line
Of coming to an understanding
That I can never be
A good enough me

This wretched sickness
In my gut
Reminded me of
Feeling like I'm not
As useless as I thought
But that's where the pain comes from
When its just a lie I tell myself
I'm here because he's not
And no one else
Knows the truth

Maybe I'd be different
In another time
Where time didn't trip up
Or maybe it was always my destiny
To arrive here on the wind
Of a technicality


This song has been begging to get out all day. So when it came out it did so as almost a vomit. I could probably go through super carefully and polish it, but Im not sure I want to. Its raw, but thats why I like it. Its pure, honest thoughts straight from my brain. Sure, they're scary. Aren't all of us hiding the darker parts of ourselves anyway? Well I just un-hid it.

P.S. 41311

No comments:

Post a Comment