Saturday, July 30, 2011

Several Posts Later...

It is, without a doubt, best to do some thinking while moving some boxes. After a week of tiring work at VBS, I woke up at 6 AM on my Saturday to go earn some cash by moving some dusty boxes around. Oh yes. I was as eager as I sound. Still, it was fairly enjoyable and flew by. Plus, the whole thing might be working to my advantage for quite some time. (Thats another post I might get to do sometime.)

I was off around a corner and Mr. Jahnke asked me how many boxes were left. I was tired, lazy and not in a mood that lended itself to counting boxes. So I replied with the oh-so-useful, "several." That got me thinking. What does several mean? At what point does several stop being several?

I mean, lets say that a regal frisbee is launched from a specially designed cannon and it takes out 220,389,291,387,641,942 blades of grass. Could you say it cut several pieces of grass? I know its ridiculous, but its true. The definition of several is "less than many." Many is described as "a large but indefinite amount." Soooooo... When does several stop?

Im gonna be cheeky and sarcastic and use it for any number more than one. If some, equally cheeky, person points out that 1,392,904 is a large number, I'll just explain that I'm thinking of numbers in relation to the amount of moleclues per square mile of lead plates with Hello Kitty scratched into them.

I just feel like this needs to be protested. I'm gonna get Gandalf to help me. We need to stop this insanity. Several MUST be accurately defined. It should be any number more than one and less than 38. Or something like that. Acutally, I vote that it stops after seven. Due to the noticable similarities between those two words.

See?

Several.

Seven.

Several.

Seven.

Several.

Seven.

They're practically the goofy cousins of the English language.

No comments:

Post a Comment